Friday, August 12, 2016

Using Variegated and Gradient yarn

Often the variegated yarn that looked so amazing in the skein looks much less interesting when knit.  I was googling around trying to find a variegated or self striping linen that I thought might look good in a shawl that is of interest to me.  The shawl is found in a book that I bought digitally (stored in dropbox) called Free Spirit Shawls.  

I am looking for one more summer project before I start the fall knitting.

I am updating this post in September 2016 and have found some yarn that I bought for the above shawl from Webbs.  It is Noro Taiyo Sock Yarn in neutral colors of grey, white, brown and green.  I am going to take this yarn and pattern with me to Boston this week in case I finish the projects I have going or find that I need a small needle pattern and yarn when my arm and shoulder get tired.

Instead I found the following which is a site that shows some ideas for using variegated yarns in unusual ways:

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/variegated.html

Here is an example of one of the ways to use a variegated yarn that proved disappointing when used in straight knit and purl:





Mandy Bee says on her blog:  http://www.mandybee.com/tag/knitting-with-variegated-yarn/

That what I want is gradient yarn rather than variegated yarn.  She suggests some ways to use the variegated yarns that we have bought and been disappointed in results such as:

Using drop stitch pattern:




and using linen stitch such as the below found in a Church mouse creation:



Still looking for the right linen, I found a very pretty yarn that is on sale on the Webb's site called Santorini.  Here is a sample knit with this yarn



This would make a WONDERFUL sweater for warm/cool weather.  However, this yarn is not linen.  It is a cotton/viscous (spelling?) blend.  I found the sample on:

http://really533.rssing.com/chan-6282279/all_p44.html

Feb 2018 Dar wore a shawl to a knitting retreat that I particularly like:




The pattern is Loops by Casapinka and the yarns are both fingering yarn and she thinks she knitted it on size 6 needles.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/loop-6

Casapinka has a lot of other shawls that are worth seeing as well.


Just found another yarn that is very pretty.  It is on Revelry:  Seashore Kerchief by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas.  It uses size 7 needles, and Classic Elite Yarns Bella Lino.  The picture below is Colorway 8504


I am adding one more idea in late winter 2021.   It is a small shawl knitted by Caroline.  The pattern is Tilting at Windmills by 

Jamie McCanless

Below is Caroline's version:




Feels Like Home Shawl (above)




No comments:

Post a Comment