Sunday, May 10, 2020

Hand Knit mask for times of Quarantine

I don't know what made me decide that I had to knit a mask for the covid epidemic.  But finally the right mask came across pinterest and I started,  First I found crochet cotton upstairs from my grandmother's box of cotton crochet supplies.  Then I decided on what size knitting needles to use.  I chose size three needles because the pattern called for 2.5 to 3mm needles.  

I had a bit of trouble getting started and figuring it all out.  I had knitted from charts very little.  And that was part of the fun:  learning how to knit from a chart.  The designer had a you tube presentation to help with interpreting the symbols on the chart....but the You tube was in her native language ....and she is oriental.  However there were English prompts and also the symbols that she was illustrating were shown on the screen,  The pattern is called a Seed Mask and her version is made out of  AGA organic cotton.  The You tube video (in her native language) can be found at:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nR6qtAkzGQ

And here are the photos of my mask:





Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing.  I had decided to use the elastic hair ties to go over my ears instead of tying the masks on with cords.  So I did not do the first step of chaining stitches.  Instead I cast on 20 stitches and started the chart.  I left a long enough tail to sew the elastic hair ties in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment