Sunday, July 28, 2024

Shawl using Scheepjes Secret Garden Yarn

Several years ago when we were knitting at the Wild Ramp, Mitzi and Sally and I became very excited about a shawl that used Schweppes Secret Garden Yarn.  The shawl is pictured below.  As was usual, Mitzi bought the yarn and had the shawl finished before I had acted on the idea to make this shawl.  Mitzi was disappointed in the results and so I filed the idea away for a while.  Then one day the yarn was offered on sale and I bought it and the pattern.  But again, as usual, I did not start it right away.  I pulled it out this summer because it looks very pretty in a glass container in my bedroom.  And I have been thinking about perhaps working on a project with this yarn.  But now I am not so "taken" with knitting a shawl that has such a deep triangle point.




So I have continued to look at the yarn and think.  I found a pattern that I might use called Nordic Sunrise.


This shawl is in fingering yarn while the Secret Garden yarn is a DK yarn with suggested needle size 6.  But since it is a shawl, I am willing to give a try to using a different size yarn as fit does not matter.  I think that I have 9 balls of the Secret Garden yarn each containing 142 yards, so I believe it likely that I have enough yarn to make a substantial shawl.

 I am thinking about doing the parts that are Brioche in two color Fisherman's rib.  This morning I found a site that has good explanation of this and I did not want to loose the idea:

https://www.bettaknit.com/blog/knit-stitches/2-color-fishermans-rib-stitch-tutorial



No comments:

Post a Comment