Saturday, December 2, 2017

Blanket for Mary's Twins

The amount of time and energy that Sarah and I have put into deciding what blanket to knit for the twins, we could probably have knit three blankets.  However, we have finally bought the yarn!  Hurrah! Sarah said that she received her shipment today and is ready to start knitting.

We bought Blue Sky Fibers Worsted Cotton in Mediterranean and Caribbean.  I flipped a coin to see which color went to which person....Sarah received the Caribbean:



And I am to receive the Mediterranean:



So now the final picking of the pattern so that Sarah can get started.



Start by looking at which of the patterns we have on hand for this weight yarn.  The pretty lace pattern that is shown above is Adama.  Much to my surprise it is already in my library.  Sally had made the cowl ....and it is the right size needles.  We will only have to do a little bit of a calculation to see how big to make the blanket in this pattern.

I like this next one very well, too:



It was knit on size 7 needles.  However, I think we could use size 9 just as easily....size of blanket is not very crucial.  It can be found by using Orange Flower Yarn as search term on Ravelry.

Little Dove is knit in this yarn (found on Ravelry)



And we could go back to the basket weave that I was thinking about in the beginning:



I found a suitable pattern for this blanket at:

https://stockinette.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/basketweave-baby-blanket/

Ok...one more addition:  I think that if we did the Adama Cowl lace pattern we would use size 9 needles.  Cast on 125 stitches for the pattern plus 10 stitches for the garter stitch border.  The Adama pattern gives a stitch chart for working flat so it shouldn't be much of a problem to just work flat the entire time.  There also seem to be written directions for the lace on page 3.  The lace is broken up with bands of garter and knit stitches that we could improvise .....I think it is very doable if this is what we choose,

Oh, wait....one more ....the Fifty Four Ten Studio on the porch blanket is actually an actual design for Blue Sky Fibers Cotton worsted.  We might have to buy one more skein.  There are several nice blankets on the site on Webs using Fifty Four Ten Studio as the search term.



Hm......why can't I seem to make a final decision.......

In January 2021, I am attending Vogue Knitting Live and found a wonderful pattern for a baby blanket called The Princess and the Pea.  There is more information about this blanket on my slide show using Knit This Purl That as search term.  It calls for many colors and is very pretty.  See photo on the slide show.








No comments:

Post a Comment